Saturday, September 10, 2011

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner - or McDonalds Dinner using gift card prize

Ran the Camp Lael 5K this morning and won the race! There was little to no competition at all, but this may be the only race I ever win in my life, so I'm counting it. The race was listed on the active.com website among others, so it isn't my fault that it wasn't well attended by runners. They were invited but few came (there were many more walkers than runners). One of my goals this year was to win this race (I actually told my wife I would win immediately after last year's race) so... mission accomplished.

The course was primarily gravel and dirt roads, had some very steep inclines and consisted of 3 loops of the same course, making the hills that much worse. I finished with a time of 26:06, but I think I would now be a couple minutes faster on a more "standard" road 5k course. I dropped over 6 minutes from my time just one year ago.

Overall, it was a good but not great run. I do not have experience in leading a race (other than last years race, where I led for the first half of the race before finishing 4th) and I think I probably was a little complacent the latter part of this race, knowing that I was ahead of the next runner by a wide margin. Legs felt good, breathing was excellent, but had to deal with minor to moderate midsection pains through much of the race.

My first half marathon is in three weeks. I will not win that race and will probably not even finish in the top 2/3 of my age group, but I am looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment