Thursday, August 16, 2012

I have run 500 miles and then I ran 500 more.

To the tune of The Proclaimers song I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles):

"Well I have run 500 miles and I have run 500 more
To be the man that ran 1000 miles to throw up at your door"

 
 
On Tuesday, my evening run gave me a total of over 1000 miles run since my "official" running comeback (which began 18 months ago). The run itself was nothing special. In fact, it was kinda craptacular. I ate dinner before I ran and waiting a couple hours after eating didn't help. For some reason, I kept singing both a couple lines from the "500 Miles" song and a line from "Cities on Flame With Rock and Roll" by Blue Oyster Cult (I am well versed in the Classic Rock arts). Instead of singing "My heart is black and my lips are cold, Cities on flame with rock and roll" I was singing "My legs are tired, and my belly's full, Cities on flame with rock and roll." Yes, I am a big dork.


My legs feel better, but I still don't think they've fully recovered from the Run Thru Hell last Saturday. I ran at a decent pace this evening, but my hamstrings get sore when I am running. I don't feel injured at all, just like they got overused and are tired. If I was hurt, I'd take more days off, but as it stands now, I can deal.

I will be running the Crim 10 Mile at the Crim Festival of Races on August 25. I think I like the 10 mile distance and am looking forward to this race because of that, the opportunity to beat my time from the Run Thru Hell and because it is supposed to be a fun race. The plan is for an easy run tomorrow, long easy run Sunday, run 3 times in 4 days Monday - Thursday, rest day Friday and then good race on Saturday. Easy, right? I would love to luck out and get cool weather on race day again. It makes a significant difference.

Here's hoping the next 1000 miles are as good or better than the first 1000!


1 comment: