Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Student Becomes... The Master?

No, not really.

While I have learned much over the past couple years, I have a lot more to learn about running. However, I have gained quite a bit of insight into many things and feel it is my duty to share that with others.

I'm hoping to help people go from here:


To here:

It had been something I had been thinking about for a while and had an opportunity to do something about it. As a result, I am now helping to lead a Couch to 5k group. 

There are many valid methods of exercise and running is just one of them. Regardless of what method of exercise one chooses, it can be hard to start and harder to maintain. As such, doing something like a Couch to 5k program with a group can be a great way to get going. I also feel that the program is a good way to build a running base without starting out too fast and getting burnt out or injured.

The group that I will be leading will be starting out this Tuesday, April 30 - 6:15 pm at Bethany Church in Waterford, MI. Details are available here. We will have both running groups and walking groups available. If you're in the area, please feel welcome to stop by. It is free to participate and we'll be meeting for the next 8 Tuesdays. The idea is that we'll run together on Tuesdays as a group, and that participants will do the other two scheduled runs / walks on their own during the week.

A goal for many (I hope a lot) of the participants will be to run / walk at the Open Door Julie Run 5k / 10k on June 22nd (more info is available here). This race is like my "home race" to me. It is the first race I did as an adult, it is the one I've run the most times (this will be #5), it is the site of my current 5k PR and it supports a cause that is very important to me (supporting people in need in my own community).

I haven't posted anything in a while and I have a blog backlog, but I wanted to make this post first. I am excited about this opportunity and hope I can successfully lead this group to do good things.


No comments:

Post a Comment