Saturday, January 11, 2014

An Inauspicious Start

I almost titled this post an auspicious start, because that is what I thought I meant. Just to make sure, I looked it up and auspicious means encouraging or favorable. Inauspicious is what I really meant, which is exactly the opposite.

2013 ended with a race on New Year's Eve, the New Years Resolution 8K run in Flint. This is the 3rd year in a row that I've run this race, put on by Riverbend Striders. They put on good, low frill races for a fair entry fee. The races I've done with them have the shirt as an option, which I like. The entry fee was $25 with a hooded sweatshirt and $15 without. I chose without this year, because I have more than enough hooded sweatshirts (I could use ones without hoods).

It was in the upper teens and I may have skipped it if not for posting it on the Facebook page of a local running group and seeing that one of my running pals, Kevin, said he was going to go. Aw... I probably would have gone anyway. The race itself was fine. Thankfully, it wasn't nearly as windy as predicted and the weather was manageable, though most of the roads were snow covered and somewhat slick. I finished a couple minutes slower than the previous year, but I was OK with how it went and I was glad I raced.

The race wasn't inauspicious, but the start of 2014 has been quite inauspicious (last time using that word today). I did a 3 mile treadmill run about 8 days ago and then a 2 mile run during the middle of a snow event that would leave us with about 15 inches of the stuff.

It really was snowing, but Google + decided to add the snow effect.

I was able to run a couple miles on the unplowed roads. With all of the slip-sliding, it was challenging
Those runs weren't the bad part. The inau.... bad part is that I didn't run for 6 days in a row, which is exactly what I said I shouldn't do in my post about running goals for 2014. This lull was weather-influenced (that's what -14F temps will get ya) and schedule influenced. With the weather, not only was I not going to run outside due to road conditions and temperature, I had to get up early each day to shovel and to get ready to get to work on time. With the extra time for travel and increased need for concentration on the roads, I felt wiped out by the time I got home. Add to that evening activities for the kids and running didn't happen.

I have decent excuses. but as I struggled during my "easy" run at Indian Springs Metropark this morning, they didn't matter. It was way too hard and indicated to me that I need to step it up if I want to meet any of my goals this year.

I have decided to take drastic moderate measures to get back on track. I am implementing a plan where I must run at least a mile every day. Erica from Life as a Running Mom has a 2 year daily run streak going and it seems to work well for her. I have a one day daily running streak. My hope is that, if I get myself ready to run one mile, I'll usually end up doing more. I don't care if it is on the home mill, the gym mill or outside, I need to get back in the habit.

Here's to the streak! *cheers*

No comments:

Post a Comment