Sunday, June 24, 2012

Necktie 5k / Off Week / Angry Bird

Hello!

I've been away from the blogging world for a couple weeks, but I'm back, baby! I've been reading other people's blogs, but just haven't been able to make myself write anything.

First, I want to talk about the Necktie 5k in Beverly Shores, IN, just west of Michigan City on the shores of Lake Michigan.

Knowing that I've been doing some running, my brother called me a couple months ago about running the Necktie 5k. It would take some travel, but I could visit him, my mom, my dad (for Father's Day), etc, so it wasn't a big deal. The Necktie 5k is a race where you wear neckties for Father's Day. You wear ties, the awards are ties and the starting line had hanging....underwear.

 The kids sprint was first and it was a very short sprint. Before we found out that it was really short, we were telling J- Man to pace himself like the week before. Once we saw it was maybe 50m, we told him to forget that and go for it. He is pretty fast, but we need to work on his form. He runs with his arms out like he's running from zombies and is in full panic.


He was proud that he won another race and got a little button for his efforts. I'm happy that he gets to feel a sense of accomplishment when doing these races.

For the 5k, this was going to be the first race ever where I didn't try to go all out. I was running with my girl, Lil' C (she needs a better blog name at some point, she's not so little, but always my little girl) and my goal was to help pace her for the race. I was able to keep her, for the most part, at the pace we had planned. It was pretty warm, even at 9am, and Lil' C was begging for water even before we got to the first station. The course also had a few small hills. Between the heat and hills, it was a little bit tougher for her than the previous week, but she ended up finishing close to the same time.


As for me, this was probably the most comfortable run ever. I didn't think about how I felt one time. Not an ache, pain, pull or single discomfort. While there was part of me that just wanted to take off running, it was great to see my kid doing so well. Next year, we may need to all race. Lil' C, J-Man and Baby Girl X in the stroller. That will be another Happy Fathers Day.

Lil' C ended up getting 3rd place in her age group for her first racing award, J-Man won his race, but what about Daddy? Well, I won an award too! It wasn't for running, it was for my tie! The kiddies made me a tie for Father's Day a couple years back which I wore during the race and I won a chocolate bar (kind of a weird prize for a hot day, but I'll take it).

It says #1 Dad with some little blue guys and says "Go U". I dunno why.

----------------------------

It the days after the race, I didn't run at all for 6 days. It wasn't intentional. Monday is usually a longish run day for me, but it was hot, I was at my Dad's house, I was tired, it didn't happen. The rest of the week was stressful, hot, busy, just not a good week to run. I don't believe I have had 6 days off from running since the "comeback" and honestly, I didn't like it. I tried to justify it by saying I was able to heal up, but I didn't have much healing to do. It didn't lessen my stress, in fact, without running, one of my major stress relievers was out of play. No more weeks off for me!

----------------------------

I was able to finally run at camp this Saturday while J-Man was still in bed. It felt good to be moving again. A lap around camp is about 1 mile and near the end of one lap, I met an Angry Bird. A hawk lives near the chapel at camp and she is beyond over protective. I knew she was there, but I thought I was safe until I heard a bird war cry and saw that she was coming for me. I don't know how close she got, because I took off fast. I don't know what would be the worst that a bird could do, but I didn't want to find out.

Did you ever have an unplanned lapse in your running or exercise program? 

Do you have a child, neice or nephew or other kid you were trying to train. How'd it go?






No comments:

Post a Comment