Saturday, September 3, 2011

Crummy run but not too worried

Went out this morning with the intention of going 10 - 12 miles. I did that, but I didn't even consider that I would walk about half of it. I did my usual walk of nearly 1/2 mile before starting running and felt fine. Once I started running, I almost immediately knew I wasn't going to have a great run. After a couple blocks, my quads felt fatigued and a little sore and it seemed there was just no power in my legs. Even though it was humid and it took just seconds to work up a sweat, I didn't feel bad, but my legs were just useless (which can be a problem when you are running). :)

With the way my legs felt, I never got into a good rhythm and felt like I was kinda gliding along instead of running. I quickly developed a side stitch which didn't help matters, but I pressed on as I ran past the high school and then through the nature center. While I was hoping that I would get into a groove, by about 3.5 miles in my upper legs felt even worse - like I had run 10 miles the day before. I probably should have turned around and ran back home at that point, but I wanted to keep going. Then, a few blocks later I started walking, shouted "No!" and started running again, only to resume walking less than a minute later.

I decided to let myself walk a bit only if I would resume running. I was hoping I could "reboot" myself and when I started running again, I would feel better and use better form. That really didn't happen. I probably moved about 6 more miles after that, but only ran a little over 2 of it.

Overall, I was disappointed with the run, which was easily my worst in a couple months, but I'm not too worried about it. I did a quick run Thursday night which must have been more taxing on my legs than I had thought. This was also my 4th run of the week when I have been struggling to normally get 3 in and I had already done a "long" run on Tuesday. If today had been a race, it would have been my "worst case scenario", but I would have worked through it and ended up ok.

The plan is to rest tomorrow and, if all goes well, I'll do a hilly 3 or 4 miles on Monday to prep for the Camp Lael 5k next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment