Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 Recap - Part 1 - The Goals

Happy New Year!

I've been meaning to write this recap for a while now, but only now am doing it. I've been reading all the blogs from my Michigan and other blogger pals and thought I should finally do my post.

This is me running.
I suppose I have a lot to recap so I'm probably gonna take a couple posts to do it. This one will recap the goals I set at the beginning of the year and how I did in meeting them (or not meeting them).


1. Run a 22 minute 5k - Result: So Close.

This was a tricky goal to set. I wanted to say 20 or 21 minutes at the start of last year, but I think I've gotten pretty good at knowing my capabilities and I set this one just right. My best 5k time this year was at the Open Door Julie Run in June with a time of 22:16. I really thought I had it at that race, but I came up just short with a disappointing 3rd mile. I wanted to say I met this because the race had a clock time start and was slightly long, but the official time is what it is.

I knew that race was my last, best shot at 22 during the year, as I went into half marathon training mode after it. That training helped me for the next goal which was...

2. Run a 1:50 half marathon - Result: Done!

I thought this would be the most difficult of the goals to meet (and maybe it was), but I did it, running 1:49:09 at the Brooksie Way in late September. It was doubly sweet to meet this goal on that course, which is notoriously difficult. I dropped over a minute per mile off of my time from the previous year.


The Train (me) stands victorious on the mountain top!

3. Place in a "big" race - Result: Done!

I qualified this one by noting in my goal setting post that "Even though it doesn't have a huge turnout, the Julie Run is big to me". Well, I finished 2nd in my age group at the Open Door Julie Run in June, which means I can consider this goal "met"! That finish meant a lot to me, as this particular race is the first one I did before I committed to getting back to running on a regular basis. Placing in any race at that time seemed so far away.

4. Finish a 10k in 48 minutes - Result: Not Met.

Excuse time. I ran in two 10k races and neither one was the main race I was preparing for. In March I had a good effort at the Shamrock N' Roll 10k, finishing in 50:28, a 7 minute PR. I was on my way to getting this one, except that I ended up doing a couple 10 mile races and the 10k distance never ended up being a priority. My other 10k race was not planned as I won a race entry from Renewal by Andersen to the Milford Labor Day 10k. This race was a week after the 10 mile Run Thru Hell and on a hilly, un-PR friendly course. I did PR with a time of 50:16, but that is obviously not close to 48 minutes.

The thing about missing this goal is that I think that, in my peak shape from 2012, I would have beaten it handily. It was a good goal, but my priorities changed during the year (both in running and in life), so it didn't get accomplished. It won't stop me in setting a more challenging goal in 2013, but that is another post. :P

The Train is crushed, but he will chug on with bionic legs!

5. Run 900 miles - Result: Not Met.

I didn't want to set a mileage goal, but did anyway. I honestly thought I would have no issue with 900 miles, but I didn't know we would have a baby during the year (BOOM - saying that was shocking is way too mild) and I didn't anticipate that the mid-late summer months would be so personally challenging. I ended up running about 802 miles, which was up from just over 450 in 2011.

I am not troubled about not meeting this goal at all. I rarely passed on running when I was physically and mentally able to do so and when my schedule permitted. Therefore 802 miles is cool with me. Again, not meeting this goal will not prohibit a higher goal in 2013.

Summary:

Despite only fully meeting 2 of 5 goals set at the start of 2012, I say that 2012 was an outstanding success. It was my first full year of running. The fact that I was active all year long was a huge accomplishment in itself. The goals that I missed, well, I didn't miss by much and they were well within my capabilities.

I will get part 2 of the recap done in the near future and then layout goals for 2013! Thanks for reading and for your support in 2012! I appreciate everyone who read and commented on my blog, twitter, facebook, dailymile, etc. during the year. You helped encourage me during the year and I hope I returned the favor in some small way.





1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great recap and I like your attitude toward your original goals! You had a lot going on this year and rocked out your running and even more! And almost doubling your mileage from last year is an accomplishment in itself! Great job and here's to an amazing 2013!

    ReplyDelete